Applications & Forms

Please click on the following links for application information and to download current application forms. All applications must be filled out completely, signed, and submitted with the required information and fee.

We encourage you to call and schedule an appointment to discuss your application if you have any questions.  Incomplete applications will be returned and may delay processing of your permit.   Applications can be mailed or hand-delivered to the Town Offices.



New construction, additions/alterations, accessory structures (fence, deck, shed, etc.), permanents and temporary signs, temporary uses, change of use, home occupation.

For any non-residential development or residential applications that include three or more dwelling units, please see UDO section 2.31 Site Plan

Any exterior changes to buildings within the Strasburg Historic Districts (see map) requires a permit, and in some cases review by the Architectural Review Board. Please contact the Town Office at 540-465-9197 and ask to speak with the Planning and Zoning Administrator prior to beginning a renovation project. Ordinary maintenance can be excluded from permitting, but call and check to make sure you qualify.

Minor Subdivisions include any subdivision: Involving three or fewer lots; fronting on an existing street; not involving the creation of any new street; not involving the extension of municipal utilities; not involving the creation of public improvements; not adversely affecting the remainder of the parcel or adjoining the property; not in conflict with the comprehensive plan, official map, or zoning regulations.

Any subdivision not exempted by the Unified Development Ordinance or state law, other than a minor subdivision.

Certain types of uses are only allowed in Town with a Special Use Permit. Before applying for this permit, contact the Town Office and ask to schedule a pre-application meeting with the Planning and Zoning Administrator.

The appeals application is the proper way to appeal a decision by the Planning and Zoning Administrator, apply for a Variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals, request an Exception in accordance with section 2.43 of the UDO, or appeal a decision by the Planning Commission.

The amendment application is available to those individuals or organizations that would like to apply for a Zoning Map Amendment (rezoning/condtional zoning), make an amendment to the Comprehensive (Community) Plan, or make an amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance.


Application Fees

An application review fee is required for all types of development applications.  Click here for an updated list of the application fees.

For assistance please contact:

Economic Development and Planning Department

Town of Strasburg
174 E. King St.
P.O. Box 351
Strasburg, VA 22657
Phone:  540-465-9197
Fax:  540-465-3252

Important Information